Mental Health Law


CLAS can help with some legal issues related to mental health:

  • Criminal Code Review Board Hearings - We can help if you have a BC Review Board hearing scheduled under the Mental Disorder provisions of the Criminal Code of Canada.
  • Mental Health Review Board Hearings - We can help if you want to contest involuntary detention, certification, and extended leave under the BC Mental Health Act. Follow the link to find more information about applying for a Mental Health Review Board hearing, also called a Review Panel hearing. If you are a lawyer working with us to represent clients at Review Panel hearings, or if you are interested in doing so, we have a Resource page for lawyers working with our Mental Health Law Program, with information, forms, and guides.
  • Certificates of Incapability under the Adult Guardianship Act - CLAS can provide legal advice if you would like to challenge a certificate of incapability that made the Public Guardian and Trustee a statutory property guardian under the Adult Guardianship Act.
  • Judicial reviews of decisions made by a Review Panel under the Mental Health Act - CLAS can provide legal advice if you believe there are grounds for a court to review the Review Panel decision because the panel incorrectly applied the law or otherwise made a decision that was not within its statutory jurisdiction.